When I spend half an hour trying to get something working, and I then find out the fix was a 20 second thing ithat I overlooked.
Specifically, I was trying to get TrueType fonts working on nausicaa, my newly linux installed laptop. I've done this before, but it's been a while. And, last time I did it, I did it by installing xfstt.
This time, XFree86 4 is out, it includes support for TT fonts, and I didn't want to install a new font server for them. So, of course, I'll just set up xfs to handle them.
Only, I'm stupid, and I couldn't figure it out. I did everything I could think of with xfs to get it working, and there was just no go.
Then, finally, something clicked. So, I added the directory where my TT fonts are to the FontPath for the X config, instead of the xfs config.
Bingo. problem solved.