December 12th, 2003

Lord Yupa

zyp.org *finally* transfered.

After six weeks of trying, I finally got zyp.org transfered form Network Solutions, Inc. to my new registrar, GoDaddy.

Basically, for some reason that I have been completely unable to figure out, e-mails sent via their automated e-mail system, which includes e-mails that are sent so that you can confirm changes in account roles *and* domain transfers, don't reach me. Period.

And yet, e-mails sent via human tech support reps reach me just fine. And by "don't reach me", I mean that my mail server logs show no attempts to deliver, or any connection attempts, or anything.

I called them this afternoon, and got some lady who was entirely unhelpful. She kept jumping to conclusions while I was trying to explain what was going on, without waiting for me to finish (which left her jumping to the wrong conclusions) and then she concluded that I needed the domain auth code (required for .org transfers) sent to me. I tried to explain that I already had that, and that I just needed to approve or authorize the currenty pending transfer request. She decided to not hear me, sent me my auth code (which I already had) again, and then hung up. She was rude and annoying.

So, tonight I called back, and I got a guy who spoke rather broken English, but seemed to be fairly polite. After talking to him for a few minutes (he actually listened to me!), he seemed to understand what was going on. He asked if I had a few minutes, and tried resending the automated e-mail that allows me to confirm the transfer. After a couple of minutes, and it not showing up, he said that there were two ways we could proceed. The way he'd prefer, is to copy and paste the automated e-mail into his own tech support e-mail, and sent that to me. That way it gets sent to my domain's contact e-mail address, maintaining proper security authorizations. The other way involved him talking to his supervisor to manually approve the transfer.

I had no problem with the former, since I'd already established that tech support e-mails got through to me fine. So, he copied, pasted, and sent. A minute or two later, the e-mail arrived, and I managed to confirm the transfer request.

I'm finally free of those annoying and overcharging buggers.
Danger Mouse

Bug/Issue with E-Mail Posting.

[Crossposted to lj_dev]

I don't know if this is a known issue, or I've somehow managed to screw something up, but it appears that PGP/GPG signed e-mails (user+pgp@post.livejournal.com) that are sent as journal entry submissions aren't being processed.

My mail server shows that the e-mail was successfully accepted. But nothing displays in my journal. Sending an identical e-mail using the 'PIN' authentication (user+PIN@post.livejournal.com) works without issue, and the journal entry displayed within a few moments.

The PGP signed post was tried twice, without success. And it was working great for me in the past, as recently as 'Wed, 10 Dec 2003 21:00:25 -0600' (my last e-mail post that was PGP signed and went through). I've verified that my last successful PGP signed post e-mail was sent to the same e-mail address and signed with the same key as the recent failed PGP signed post e-mail.

Thanks for your time. If anyone needs any additional information from me on this, just let me know.
  • Current Mood
    curious